Financing for Gender Equality
The conference will bring together high level political representatives, non-governmental organisations and business sector stakeholders, and the result will be an inter-governmentally negotiated and agreed outcome document, with the potential for great impact on the implementation of the new Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Gender equality advocates have welcomed the draft outcome document's recognition of the importance of gender equality and women's empowerment in order to achieve sustainable and equitable growth and development. But they argue that the draft does not go far enough, and that FfD3 represents a key opportunity to examine the broader macroeconomic climate and the ways that it exacerbates gender inequalities.
Jenny Birchall from BRIDGE argues that it is time to start listening to those advocating for the rights of the world’s most marginalised. Read her blog post here.
This update provides links to key resources which identify priorities, approaches and recommendations for financing gender equality with a focus on the post-2015 development agenda.
- Gender dimensions of expenditure and revenue policy and systems
- J Birchall; M Fontana / BRIDGE 2015
- Most governments have expressed a commitment to gender equality goals but there are often inconsistencies between policy statements and the ways in which public finances are raised and spent. Most governments have also expressed a com...
- Making financing for development work for gender equality: what is needed at Addis and beyond
- K Staszewska; C Capraro; B Cansfield; J Woodroffe / Gender and Development Network 2015
- This briefing from the Gender and Development Network in the UK has been written in preparation for the Third International Conference on Financing for Development (FfD3). It notes that while gender equality issues have been visi...
- From Commitment to Action: Financing gender equality and women’s rights in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals
- This four-page brief provides an overview of OECD Development Assistance Committee (DAC) members’ aid to gender equality since the MDGs and identifies priorities for financing gender equality in the implementation of the post-20...
- Policy recommendations: financing for development
- African Women's Development & Communication Network 2015
- This short briefing contains recommendations on financing for development from representatives of African women's rights organisations, trade unions and civil society organisations. Ahead of the Third International Conference on Finan...
- Progress of the World's Women 2015-2016: Transforming economies, realising rights
- UN Women 2015
- This report focuses on the economic and social dimensions of gender equality, including the right of all women to a good job, with fair pay and safe working conditions, to an adequate pension in older age, to health care and to safe w...