Pathways to Sexuality and Women’s Empowerment
The resources in this guide complied by Pathways of Women's Empowerment bring together thinking on sexuality and women’s empowerment from around the world. Some papers outline the hidden way in which issues related to gender and sexuality open up or constrain the possibility of political, economic and gender justice. Some consider how a focus on sexuality can alter thinking on development or the ways in which people organise to make claims for rights. Others point to the limits of traditional approaches to women’s empowerment – legal reform and social protection – in the realisation of sexual rights.
More cutting edge research and work on sexuality can also be found at the Sexuality section of the Institute of Development website.
Sexuality and Women's Empowerment
- Eldis Guide: Heteronormativity
- K, Hawkins; S. Wood; G. Aboud 2013
- Heteronormativity is considered a very abstract concept by some but it has serious implications for international development. The term heteronormativity grew out of “Queer Theory” and is the assumption that heterosexualit...
- Sexuality and Empowerment: An Intimate Connection
- K, Hawkins; A, Cornwall; T, Lewin / Pathways of Women's Empowerment RPC 2011
- What does sexuality have to do with women’s empowerment? Research from Pathways of Women’s Empowerment shows that sexuality affects women’s political and economic empowerment in a number of important ways. For exampl...
- Sex Workers’ Struggles in Bangladesh: Learnings for the Women’s Movement
- S. Huq / BRIDGE 2005
- In 1999 the government of Bangladesh forcefully evicted sex workers from a large cluster of brothels just outside Dhaka. Members of the sex worker organisation Ulka immediately sought support from Naripokkho, a country-wide women&rsqu...
- Changing Narratives of Sexuality – Concept Paper, Pathways of Women’s Empowerment Working Paper 4
- C. Pereira 2008
- The focus of the Pathways of Women’s Empowerment thematic group on Changing Narratives of Sexuality is simultaneously a focus on the multiple changes shaping women’s relations to sexuality and power, and on the ways in whi...
- ‘Sexual Pleasure Empowers Women!’, Contestations, Issue 2
- S. Jolly 2010
- In this issue of Contestations the editor argues that images of women as victims are rampant in gender and development and that this is particularly the case in discussions of sexuality, where the world is portrayed as so fraught with...
- BRIDGE Gender and Development in Brief, Issue 18, ‘Sexuality’
- BRIDGE 2007
- Sexuality can bring misery through sexual violence, HIV/AIDS, maternal mortality, female genital mutilation, or marginalisation of those who break the rules, such as non-macho men, single women, widows who re-marry, sex workers, peopl...
- Policy Audit: Social Protection Policies and Urban Poor LBTs in the Philippines
- A. Lim 2013
- GALANG’s work with lesbians, bisexual women, and trans men (LBTs) living in urban slums indicates that while marriage is of course an important issue, it is hardly foremost in the minds of many Filipino LBTs who are systematical...
- Religion and Muslim Women: Trajectories of Empowerment
- S. Huq; S. I. Khondaker / Pathways of Women's Empowerment RPC 2011
- The report is based on a two year research project in which the authors looked at women’s everyday engagement with religion. They aimed to gain insigh...