A wide variety of governance assessments and initiatives are increasingly being pursued by national actors, in addition to different international agencies. There is a demand from countries for technical assistance and knowledge on governance assessments. This section brings together cases of measuring initiatives of democratic governance as a whole or with regard to specific areas of governance for a specific country.
- Public procurement in Bangladesh: an analysis
- S. Mahmood (ed) / Academic Journals 2010
- Public procurement has been a neglected area of academic research yet it is a major function of government. Policy makers, professionals and academics are aware of the importance of public procurement in facilitating government operat...
- How can the security sector in Honduras be best supported?
- J. Schünemann (ed) / Fride 2010
- The citizens of Honduras have been plagued with insecurity since the 2009 coup d’état which brought to the fore a sustained crisis of security and legitimacy making the political equilibrium very fragile. Levels of v...
- How can country-led democratic governance assessments be best supported?
- United Nations Development Programme 2009
- Governance assessments have been an increasing priority for donors and national development partners alike, especially in the last five years. Country-led democratic governance assessments help to foster inclusive participation, ...
- Assessing Bolivia's representative, participatory and communitarian democracy
- A. Schilling-Vacaflor (ed) / German Institute of Global and Area Studies 2010
- Over the past two decades, Latin American countries have adopted new constitutions in a wave of constitutional change. Bolivia’s new constitution defines the country as a representative, participatory and communitarian democracy...
- Setting the agenda: more power to the President?
- L.A. Schwindt-Bayer / The Kellogg Institute 2010
- Presidents around the world have access to a wide range of legislative powers—veto power, decree power, and exclusive bill introduction powers. However, an important but often overlooked power is the ability to control the legis...