Health and social policy
About rising powers, health and social policyAmongst the Rising Powers, the BRICS have been particularly active in health and social policy. The BRICS Forum has ministerial meetings in Finance and Health, showing the importance attributed to the latter. All 5 countries have invested in public health, viewing it as essential to national socio-economic development, and as an important tool in managing the inequality their countries grapple with. Public health has been integrated into the national and international agendas, with countries like China, Brazil and South Africa all making significant advances in public health. This section examines some of the extensive literature available on the impact of the BRICS in health and social policy – including health systems and social protection.
- Social security coverage extension in the BRICS: a comparative study on the extension of coverage in Brazil, the Russian Federation, India, China and South Africa
- International Social Security Association 2013
- The five countries of the BRICS, Brazil, the Russian Federation, India, China and South Africa, are facing some common challenges with regard to ageing of their populations, urbanisation, vulnerability to environmental shocks, increas...
- Shifting paradigm: how the BRICS are reshaping global health and development
- Global Health Strategies 2012
- BRICS' (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) foreign assistance spending has been growing rapidly and these countries have been exploring opportunities for more formal collaboration among themselves and with developing count...
- Mega-events and urban poverty: legacy projects in Rio De Janeiro
- Comparative Research Programme on Poverty 2016
- Sporting mega-events are regarded as vehicles for urban and economic development, leaving host cities and nations with lasting legacies. But what kind of development do the events facilitate, and which le...
- Social technologies and public policies in Brazil
- F Veras Soare; P. Lara de Arruda 2015
- Tthe definition of Social Technologies (STs) encompasses aspects of innovation in the use of technologies, interaction with the community, and the potential to transform social realities and to be scaled up and replicated in oth...
- Preliminary observations on social security and health care systems of the BRICS
- International Policy Centre for Inclusive Growth 2015
- This summary provides some preliminary findings of research on social security and health care policies in the BRICS countries. Thus far, our research demonstrates some basic institutional information about the social security and hea...
- India Africa partnership in healthcare: accomplishments and propsects
- Research and Information System for Developing Countries 2015
- In the decades following India’s independence, the principle of South-South cooperation, particularly in the context of the non-aligned movement, has been at the forefront of India’s foreign policy towards Africa. Now, Ind...
- social gains in the balance: a fiscal policy challenge for Latin America and the Caribbean
- World Bank 2014
- The proportion of the Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) region's 600 million people living in extreme poverty, defined in the region as life on less than $2.50 a day, was cut in half between 2003 and 2012 to 12.3 percent. Reflecti...