Blood Bank Specialist
Doctors with Africa CUAMM is the first NGO in the healthcare area officially recognized in Italy.
Founded in 1950 with the aim of training doctors to work in developing countries, the organization actively operates in Angola, Central African Republic, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania and Uganda implementing long-term healthcare cooperation projects in partnership with local governments and institutions.
CUAMM’s action focuses on health system strengthening and targets the weakest population groups, particularly women and children. Interventions include prevention, screening and treatment programmes on several diseases; creation or strengthening of referral systems at community level; training of health professionals; field research.
Job title: Blood Bank Specialist
Job location: Sierra Leone, with missions at national levelApplication deadline: November 19th 2018Start date: November/December 2018
Duration: 3 months
- Medical Doctor or Biologist, with specialization in laboratory technology
- Good knowledge of written and spoken English
- Consolidated experience in Blood Bank systems
- Previous experience in sub-Saharan Africa
Key duties: Within a project on obstetric emergencies and the development of a system of blood banks,the blood bank expert will perform a nationwide assessment.The main tasks will be:
- Carry out a national assessment of the blood banks at the district hospital laboratories identifying critical gaps and providing recommendations to fill these gaps
- Provide recommendations for establishing a secure blood bank system (space, human resource capacity, storage system, infectious disease test reagent, blood grouping test, blood bags, etc.)
- Make suggestions on staff training activities and on setting standards and procedures for the availability, quality and safety of blood transfusion
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Selection interviews will be done face-to-face or by skype.