Chief Operations Officer
About Generations for Peace
Generations For Peace is a leading global non-profit peace-building organisation with its headquarters in Amman, Jordan. They are dedicated to sustainable conflict transformation at the grass roots in communities, by promoting youth leadership, community empowerment, active tolerance, and responsible citizenship. They are a volunteer movement, empowering, mentoring and supporting volunteers to be change-makers to create a better future in their own communities.
Since 2007, Generations For Peace have trained and mentored more than 10,689 volunteer leaders of youth in 50 countries in the Middle East, Africa, Asia, and Europe. Their ongoing programmes address local issues of conflict and violence, and have touched the lives of more than 479,817 children, youth and adults. They use sport as an entry point to engage with youth, and their carefully-facilitated sport-based games provide a vehicle for integrated education and behaviour change. Generations For Peace is the only peace-through-sport organisation officially recognised by the International Olympic Committee. In addition to sport-based approaches, they have also developed arts, advocacy, dialogue, and empowerment activities to support conflict transformation with children, youth, and adults in different contexts.
This is a new position within GFP’s organisational structure. Since the current CEO joined GFP in January 2011, the headquarters staff have increased from 7 to 57 staff, and the scope, volume and complexity of GFP’s operations have grown significantly. In GFP’s organisational evolution, it is now time to separate out some major aspects of the CEO’s responsibilities and to delegate them to a suitably energetic and experienced COO who can demonstrate passion and commitment to be a key contributor to the next chapter of GFP’s growth and impact.
The COO reports directly to the CEO and the role’s purpose is to support the CEO, leading on responsibilities delegated by the CEO. These responsibilities include direct supervision of the Finance Director and oversight of all financial management; direct supervision of the Senior Manager for IT & Admin and oversight of all HR and Administration management; and responsibility for direct oversight of the execution of all secured grants to ensure effective execution, quality, and compliance with GFP’s policies and standards and donors’ requirements and expectations. The COO also participates as a Senior Management Team (SMT) member and supports the CEO in organizational development.
- Passion for GFP’s mission
- Passion for organisational capacity development, systems and process, compliance and attention to detail.
- Commitment to be a key contributor to the next chapter of GFP’s growth and impact.
- Substantial experience leading teams, with a proven ability to inspire, motivate, mentor, support and develop team members.
- Experience in NGO/non-profit sector.
- Effective Financial Management.
- Effective Administrative systems management.
- Effective Human Resources Management in a multi-cultural setting.
- Experience of thriving in a multi-cultural team, travel and experience working on projects in a variety of countries.
- Excellent computer skills (documents/spreadsheets/databases/presentations/calendars/email).
- University Bachelor’s Degree essential, preferably in a relevant discipline.
- Excellent spoken and written English (highly-educated, native speaker fluency or equivalent), including written programme plans and reports.
Master’s Degree or Post-graduate certificate qualifications in a relevant discipline (such as: business or non-profit management, administration, organizational development, accountancy, financial management, human resources management, project management, knowledge management).
Closing date: 6th August
Location: Amman Jordan
Interested in this role? To find out more information and to apply: http://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/chief-operations-officer/