Decision Support Advisor, FEWS NET (Famine Early Warning Systems Network)
Tetra Tech ARD, headquartered in Burlington, Vermont is accepting expressions of interest from qualified candidates for the Decision Support Advisor (DSA) position for a FEWS NET (Famine Early Warning Systems Network) Task Order. This Task Order is designed to deliver early warning of hazards, food insecurity, vulnerability to food insecurity, and famine to the US Government and USAID, and to national governments and regional, international and non-governmental organizations. The DSA will help provide decision makers with timely and high-quality early warning and food security analysis to mitigate food insecurity and prevent famine. The project will be led by a headquarters office in Washington D.C., and implemented with support from over 20 country and regional project offices located in Africa, Asia and Latin America, building capacity to forecast food insecurity in these countries.
This position will be based in Arlington, Virginia.
- Assure production and delivery of targeted, regular and ad hoc decision support products, such as Food Security Outlooks (FSOs), Outlook updates, alerts, and briefings, for more than 30 countries;
- Inform and support response and contingency planning processes; ensure that FEWS NET decision support identifies potential food insecurity and/or emerging crises as early as possible to support strategic decision-making and resource-allocation processes, especially within USAID;
- Inform and provide technical assistance in contingency and response planning for USAID and for food security networks in FEWS NET countries;
- Oversee FEWS NET’s regular and ad-hoc decision support to USAID, particularly in Washington, as well as to other food security stakeholders;
- Provide guidance on and build capacity related to decision support including, developing decision support and communications strategies and providing remote or in-person sessions for staff on how FEWS NET produces its decision support and what FEWS NET decision support includes; and
- Manage and supervise Decision Support Group staff, including mentoring staff and ensuring their professional development.
- Graduate degree in agriculture, agricultural economics or security, or an emergency or crisis management-related area or a related field;
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in food security, humanitarian and/or development assistance, contingency and response planning, and decision support required; overseas and management experience strongly desired, with at least 2 years in a developing country context preferred;
- Significant experience with early warning analysis required;
- Detailed knowledge of, and experience with, the Integrated Food Security Phase Classification (IPC) required;
- Experience with USAID Washington and field operations, programs, policies, and procedures required;
- Outstanding intercultural communication and interpersonal skills;
- Excellent computer skills, data management and statistical analysis skills, including geographic information system (GIS);
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity;
- Fluency in written and spoken French or Spanish preferred; and
- U.S. citizenship or a valid U.S. work permit is an absolute requirement.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
- Cover Letter
- CV in reverse chronological format
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered. No phone calls will be accepted.
Please indicate where you saw Tetra Tech's ad posted.
Apply online at: http://bit.ly/2GgdscE
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of consulting, engineering, and technical services worldwide. Our reputation rests on the technical expertise and dedication of our employees—16,000 people working together across disciplines and time zones to provide smart, sustainable solutions for challenging projects. We are proud to be home to leading technical experts in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.