Deputy Industry Director, Senior Industry Manager, Industry Manager
Msingi East Africa Limited is an ambitious and innovative industry development organisation supporting the growth of competitive industries in East Africa. They identify high potential industries, and foster innovation, growth and competitiveness in their industries by providing support, including investment, to pioneering firms, while catalysing the right enabling environment for the industry. They are differentiated by the combination of strong private sector-orientation and skills, and the long-term approach needed to catalyse lasting economic development. Ultimately, Msingi’s goal is to play a key role in East Africa’s long-term economic transformation.
The Gatsby Africa (UK) and the UK Department for International Development (DFID) have committed seed funding for Msingi’s first 5 years. Gatsby is an independent foundation set up in 1967 by Lord David Sainsbury and has worked in East Africa since 1985. Gatsby initiated the concept of Msingi and is playing a hands-on role in its development. DFID, the UK government department responsible for overseas aid, aims to promote sustainable development and alleviate poverty.
You will oversee critical pillars of Msingi’s industry programmes – leading a team to design and deliver support which may be directly to leading commercial firms (such as through technical assistance or investment) or programmes of support across the wider industry. You will also play a lead role in the continuing development of Msingi’s strategies to transform its focus industries, and the development of associated budgets and resourcing plans.
Msingi is not looking for individuals with prior experience of aquaculture (although this is not precluded), but you will require excellent commercial acumen and analytical skills, team leadership skills, and an ability to learn quickly. You will be required to manage a high caliber team of approximately 5 team members (potentially increasing in the future), as well as a network of world-leading experts and technical advisors.
- Substantial relevant work experience, specifically in a senior management role with significant responsibility and autonomy.
- Experience working in or with the private sector – such as within a commercial strategy consultancy, as an investor or within an economic development initiative. You will have excellent commercial acumen and experience of solving complex problems
- Strong track-record of high-quality people leadership, including ensuring the effective delivery of work from direct reports; a combination of empowerment, oversight and guidance; a focus on supporting the professional development and coaching of team members; and the ability to set a productive and enjoyable working culture
- Senior-level experience in overseeing projects in a number of the following areas: partnership development, investment, delivering programmes of technical assistance or advisory support, financial and quantitative analysis, market studies, and corporate strategy
- Excellent strategic thinking and analytical skills – an ability to interpret complex and conflicting information, and reflect on the variety of likely impacts or outcomes from an activity
- An ability to turn ideas and strategies into pragmatic courses of action, and to galvanise team members behind this
- Experience managing and successfully influencing a range of senior stakeholders
- Significant energy and proactivity, able to balance conflicting and changing priorities
- An ability to gain the trust and confidence of external and internal stakeholders at all levels
- A strong keenness and ability to learn and be flexible in new/changing environments
- Commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Values driven, demonstrating integrity and firm ethical standards
- A passion for the dynamics affecting East African economic development
At least a bachelor’s degree.
For more information, and to apply for the post, please go to the relevant advert on the website.
Industry Manager: http://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/industry-manager/
Senior Industry Manager: http://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/senior-industry-manager/
Deputy Industry Director: http://oxfordhr.co.uk/jobs/deputy-industry-director/
Here you can download the Appointment Brief and apply online. Please have your CV and Cover Letter to upload when applying. Closing date: 16 September 2018