The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC is currently seeking a Programme Coordinator for Iraq, based in Erbil with frequent travel to Baghdad and other parts of the country.
Between 2012 and 2015 GRC was part of a Consortium, supporting the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) in the development of a 5-year strategy ‘together as one’ and a Plan of Action to implement the strategy. Besides this strategy development process, GRC has been supporting IRCS in its relief operations since September 2014.
The KRI (Kurdish Region Iraq) and surrounding areas have received since the beginning of 2014 well over 3.2 million IDPs and are as well hosting around 244,000 Syrian refugees.
Since the beginning of the conflict and the displacement in the North, the IRCS was engaged in relief operations. Currently in the implementation of the 3rd response project, financed by the German Federal Foreign Office (AA), relief activities focus on addressing winterization, summerization (through CTP or in-kind) and First Aid needs of the affected population. Furthermore, the GRC is supporting the IRCS in building its capacities in the field of Disaster Management including reporting, DRR in schools and Cash Preparedness.
Duration: as soon as possible until 31.08.2018, with a possible extension
Location: Erbil - frequent travel to Baghdad and other parts of the country
Responsibilities and Tasks:
The Programme Coordinator will be responsible for the overall coordination of GRC activities in different locations and with various partners and stakeholders in Iraq. She/He will have the overall responsibility to ensure smooth implementation of all components of the Iraq Country Programme, in Baghdad as well as in KRI and other relevant regions in Iraq. She/He will further take up a key position in facilitating communication, coordination and cooperation between the different RC/RC movement partners. Specific tasks will entail:
- On national and governorate level represent the GRC with the Iraqi Red Crescent Society (IRCS) and other partners in the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement, international and national organisations, German Embassy, national and international media, as well as towards national authorities in accordance with the CAA
- Support GRC operations and cooperation activities, in accordance with approved plans, regulations and policies; ensure timely and accurate reporting to donors
- Manage the GRC office in Erbil/Baghdad, development of strategy in Iraq, Security Management in line with ICRC CAA and securing of new funds
- Pursue an excellent and well established relationship with IRCS, ICRC and other RC/RC partners
- Maintain a co-operative working relationship with the IRCS; providing support to the Disaster Management Department, quality assurance, management, reporting
- Monitor and follow up the activities through regular field trips
- Facilitate dialogue between different stakeholders
- Provide strategic guidance to the development and composition of the GRC portfolio and update annual Country Papers jointly with the operational team in Dohuk and the regional office in Beirut
- Develop new project concept notes/proposals in accordance with the strategic plans and in close cooperation with the IRCS and contribute to the application process to German MoFA, BMZ, EU, and other donors
- As Security focal point, maintain close coordination with ICRC and other relevant stakeholders and report and inform GRC Regional Office and GRC NHQ accordingly
- Further develop and assist movement approaches to build up and strengthen IRCS response capacities
- At least 5 years experience in the field of emergency relief and development projects
- Previous experience of working for the Red Cross / Res Crescent Movement and proven experience in working closely with a RC/RC National Society
- Solid programmatic, financial and organisational planning skills
- Experience in managing a team of expatriate and local staff
- Excellent communication skills, resolution skills and intercultural sensitivity, including managing expectations of different stakeholders in a balanced and diplomatic manner
- Willingness to work in a complex and dynamic environment
- Proven abilities in decision making and problem solving- to foresee various options and objectively assess viability to these options
- Awareness and acceptance of the risks associated with this mission
- Experience in working with different donors (German Ministries, ECHO etc.)
- Self-supporting in computers (MS-Windows, spreadsheet- and word-processing)
- Oral and written fluency in English, Arabic and/or Kurdish is a strong advantage
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles Ability to work effectively in multi-cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner
- Valid Driving Licence
What we offer you:
You will be part of a highly motivated professional and multicultural team. We offer you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC, an expatriation allowance during your mission as well as the accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package GRC is covering a home flight within a 12-months period of assignment. Medical check-ups and Psychosocial Support Service are included in your assignment and last but not least a comprehensive training package as well as briefings prior, during and after your mission will complete your employment.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HR net (https://drkhrnet.drk.de) until 10.10.2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017 - 137 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage http://www.drk.de/ueber-uns/stellenboerse/drk-international-vacancies.html
Deutsches Rotes Kreuz