Social Development Direct (SDDirect) is a leading provider of high-quality, innovative and expert social development assistance and research services. We work to build inclusive societies in which all women, men, girls and boys are valued and empowered to make choices about their own development.
We are a technical firm that offers in-depth thematic expertise in conflict prevention and peace building, governance voice and accountability, girls’ education, women’s economic empowerment, health rights and violence against women and girls.
We have a 17-year track record of providing high quality services that include technical advice and support, research, development assistance programme design, delivery and management, monitoring and evaluation. Our clients are leading international development agencies, INGOs and Foundations. They trust us to provide robust, honest advice that is underpinned by the latest evidence.
To apply please email your CV with a covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, outlining why you are interested in the post and how you meet the requirements of the person specification. Closing date is 29th December, 2017.
Reports to: Deputy Head of Programmes
The Project Officer will provide effective and efficient administrative support to each assigned project. The specific role to be undertaken may vary project to project and will be agreed with the Deputy Head of Programmes and the relevant Project Manager.
A. Project Delivery
- Set up and manage appropriate financial and administrative systems to deliver the project’s activities according to agreed workplans and the project timetable and budget
- Provide administrative and budgetary support to the Project Manager, including the production of costed workplans
- Support or undertake negotiations on small or medium size contracts with the client and/or partners
- Ensure that the budget is monitored effectively on an ongoing basis with regular and timely reports made to the Deputy Head of Programmes and the Project Manager with any potential issues escalated to the Deputy Head of Programmes
- Ensure invoices are prepared and submitted to the client in a timely manner as set out in the contract
- Ensure invoices for consultants’ fees and other project expenditure are passed promptly for payment to the finance department
- Be the first point of contact for consultants and clients regarding invoices received and sent
- Undertake regular review and audit of project financial and contract records
- Establish clear and effective communication with the client’s Contracts and Finance Departments
- Prepare and send out contracts to consultants and sub-contractors
- Provide support to the Project Manager sending out Terms of Reference to consultants, chasing progress, formatting reports and other activities associated with the smooth running of the project
- Maintain project risk register
- Organise project meetings, including preparing agendas and taking and distributing minutes as required
- Draft the monthly project update report with the Project Manager
- Provide support to consultants on travel and security protocols/risk assessment
- Manage other ad hoc project activities as required
- Spend at least 25% of their time on billable administrative and programme support work
B. Team Responsibilities
- To set up and administer Kimble financial management system
- Provide regular cashflow forecasts and reports to the finance team
- Establish and keep up to date all project and team electronic and hard copy filing in accordance with standard audit requirements
C. Business Development
- Provide support with the development of proposals as required, including preparing costings
- Proactively identify upsell opportunities on existing projects
- Provide assistance sourcing candidates for additional work on projects as required
- Conduct negotiations with consultants and clients
D. General Responsibilities
- Contribute to the general work of the team and of the company as a whole
- Establish good and considerate working relationships with all staff in the organisation which demonstrate respect for their particular role and responsibilities
- Any other tasks and responsibilities as agreed with the Deputy Head of Programmes or Project Manager
This job description may be reviewed at any time according to the needs of the organisation.
Most of all, ours being a small business, the Project Officer should have the willingness to be flexible and be prepared to contribute to the company in other duties as required.
Experience, skills and attributes
- Successful track record of supporting the development and implementation of internal policies and procedures
- Successful track record of administering finances for international development projects, particularly with DFID
- Track record of drafting and reviewing contracts and accurate manual invoicing processes
- Proven experience of liaising with external consultants and clients
- Ability to work independently on designated tasks
- Organised, able to manage time effectively and meet agreed deadlines
- Highly IT literate with proven experience of using Microsoft Excel
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience of recording risk management and security planning in high risk locations
- Fluency in an additional language e.g. French
- Successful track record of supporting the development and implementation of project management systems
- Experience of successfully coordinating logistics on international projects