Senior Consultant - Fragile and Conflicted Affected States
Itad is a leading consultancy providing technical expertise to international development programmes, projects and institutions. Our work covers a range of sectors, including Conflict Prevention, Peacebuilding, Stabilisation, Humanitarian Assistance, Climate Change, Private Sector Development, Health, Governance and Social Protection and Livelihoods. We specialise in Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning (MEL) and our work ranges from designing MEL systems for multi-million Pound initiatives, to conducting long-term impact evaluations across the world.
Our FCAS team is growing quickly and is currently providing MEL services to a range of clients, including the UK Government, across a range of conflict-affected regions, with a focus on Africa, Middle East and Asia. Our work is particularly focused on supporting governments to monitor, evaluate and learn from programming across a number of high-priority policy issues, including migration, preventing violent extremism, security sector reform, humanitarian assistance and resilience building, and local-level conflict prevention and peacebuilding.
We are looking for a Senior Consultant to join the team and support our existing MEL work for the UK Conflict, Stability and Security Fund (CSSF) across Eastern Africa, Middle East and North Africa, as well contribute to the delivery and further development of our portfolio of evaluations of humanitarian response and resilience building. The consultant will also be pursuing new opportunities, expanding the portfolio of the FCAS team and being actively involved in developing proposals and bids.
The role is based in our offices in Hove (East Sussex) but with travel within the UK and internationally
The FCAS team is looking for a dynamic and motivated Senior Consultant with a passion for working in fragile and conflict-affected settings. The consultant will be joining a rapidly expanding team and will help to maintain the high quality of existing contracts and support the team in seizing new opportunities for growth.
This is a technical role and proven experience of applying a range of evaluation designs and methods (qualitative and quantitative), as well as MEL thinking and practice in the context of at least one of the following areas is a pre-requisite: conflict prevention, peacebuilding, migration, preventing violent extremism, security sector reform and humanitarian assistance.
The successful candidate will have consultancy experience, be able to quickly establish credible, strong working relationships with team members, clients, partners and stakeholders, and will have the ability to lead, manage and motivate others. A clear understanding of commercial drivers and how they can influence both bidding and delivery is essential.
Travel to high-risk locations is an intrinsic part of this role, so experience of managing that risk is key.
- Manage the high-quality delivery of a range of technical MEL assignments by working pro-actively with internal and external teams, including associate consultants and partner organisations
- Ensure information and learning is captured and shared throughout assignment delivery to enable efficient and effective decision making
- Ensure that assignments are managed on time and to budget, and achieve profit in line with company targets
- Identify and mitigate risks and challenges to the successful delivery of projects
- Maintain awareness of current and emerging opportunities, trends and ideas within the FCAS space; and contribute to the Theme’s business development strategy by identifying opportunities to promote our interests/expertise
- As agreed with the Theme Lead, seek out and pursue new business opportunities and assess business leads identified by Business Development & Marketing to determine their commercial viability
- Work with the Business Development & Marketing team in the production of EOIs and Proposals, including identifying suitable external associates for project teams and consortia where appropriate
- Contribute to the growth of our reputational capital and positioning as a thought leader by assisting in the development of knowledge capital and products for external use
- Proactively develop and maintain a professional network with clients, partners, external associates and like-minded organisations, leveraging opportunities to build external profile as a subject matter expert
Professional Expertise & Key Competencies
- Relevant Master’s degree or PhD in Social Science, conflict studies or development related discipline
- Demonstrated experience of working on MEL assignments in fragile and conflict-affected environments is essential
- Demonstrated MEL technical expertise and experience in at least one of conflict prevention, peacebuilding, migration, preventing violent extremism, security sector reform and humanitarian assistance is essential. A humanitarian background is desirable.
- Experience and proven success in managing the delivery of MEL assignments for a range of international clients in a consultancy role or as a staff member within a major aid agency is essential
- Significant technical expertise in at least one major aspect of data collection and analysis is essential, e.g. qualitative methods; survey design; survey sampling; quantitative statistical analysis
- Fluency in written and spoken English
- Proficiency in one or more other UN language is an advantage
Please submit all applications via the recruitment portal here: https://itadltd.bamboohr.co.uk/jobs/view.php?id=45
The closing date for applications is Friday October 20th and we will be interviewing successful candidates during the week of October 30th
For non-EU applicants: If you are a non-EU National then please refer to the UK Border Agency website for information regarding your eligibility to work in the UK.