Senior Director– Africa
Teach For All is looking for a dynamic and experienced team leader to manage Teach For All support for the network’s newly formed and growing Africa region. As the Sr. Director, Africa you will manage Teach For All’s engagement with the region’s early stage entrepreneurs and partner CEOs, through deepening relationships, serving as an overall strategic resource, diagnosing their needs and marshaling network resources to meet them. You will also set the overall external vision and priorities for the region, and lead the regional team that ensures that Teach For All’s support is maximizing the impact of both early stage entrepreneurs and network partners.
The Senior Director position provides an exceptional opportunity for an individual with superior leadership, analytical, interpersonal, and external skills to serve as a key contributor to our mission and help shape the education landscape in the region. The right candidate is one who has a proven ability to set vision, build culture, influence results through others, build incredibly strong relationships, and make sound strategic decisions that drive impact. This individual is required to have deep familiarity living and working in the region, must reside in region, and reports into the Partner Engagement and Network Growth teams.
- Build out and manage a strong regional external strategy that meets the funding and public affairs needs of Teach For All and our growing network of partners and early stage groups in the region
- Build and support a diverse and highly engaged regional team that is invested in a strong vision for regional impact. Regional team strength and engagement are measured in Teach For All’s annual staff survey. .
- Measures of success which apply to the common four dimensions of impact which all network partners share) and partners’ assessment of and satisfaction with Teach For All support.
- Cultivate a highly engaged and well-connected region by strategically making decisions about how to best employ network resources and foster connections that drive impact. Effective regional engagement & connectivity are measured by our annual partner survey and through ongoing holistic assessments with each partner whereby we reflect on the strength of our partnership. .
- Support early stage social entrepreneurs from across Africa to launch strong, sustainable, and aligned local organizations that are deeply rooted in Teach For All’s unifying theory of change
- Regional Management (40%)
- Establish & evolve the overarching vision for programmatic and external work in the region
- Act as the primary senior relationship holder with all current and prospective regional CEOs, and build positive, long-term relationships as a means to achieving broad and mutually satisfying goals
- diagnosing overall support needs for both partners and early stage entrepreneurs and identifying the strategies that best leverage network resources to address the region’s needs to drive aggregate impact
- Facilitate connections among current and prospective partner CEOs within the region and more broadly across the network
- Represent Teach For All externally, and engage a wide set of stakeholders (including network CEOs) to further develop the network’s public affairs footprint in the region. Source and steward representatives from the region to serve on Teach For All’s governance and advisory bodies
- Lead a team of regional support staff (who serve on different programmatic teams, ensuring strong culture and allocation of resources across the region to maximize regional results)
- Directly Provide Support to Partners & Early Stage Entrepreneurs (50%)
- Provide direct generalist support to the region’s current and prospective partner CEOs and their leadership teams to build capacity and enhance their strategic clarity
- Directly support partners in the region to co-create an annual partnership plan that identifies how Teach For All will support them and how they will contribute back to the network
- Strategically leverage support of regional specialists and other resources from across Teach For All in pursuit of the objectives agreed to in the Partnership Plan
- Meet with self-identified entrepreneurs at conferences, workshops, and visits to their countries; guide them through the process of understanding Teach For All’s unifying principles and developing a vision for adaptation of the approach to the local context. Share Teach For All’s tools, systems and knowledge base with local entrepreneurs.
- Act as a thought partner to early stage entrepreneurs on the questions and issues that arise during the planning process.
- Facilitate conference, workshop and peer-to-peer visit attendance for social entrepreneurs who are seriously pursuing launching local organizations, and also ensuring collaboration and connection with current partner organizations.
- Engage with alumni from the network who have backgrounds in this region to connect them with local social entrepreneurs.
- Execute new partner onboarding and ensure a smooth transition of support for all new regional partners
- Contribute to Teach For All’s Organizational Strategy (10%)
- Participate as a member of the Partner Engagement Leadership Team (PELT) and the Network Growth team to make programmatic decisions that impact the design and implementation of engagement & support to current and prospective partners.
- Act as a senior leader and mentor of the PE team, helping shape broader PE team culture and priorities.
- Bachelor's degree required; Master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 6 years professional experience required
- Experience working and/or living in the region required
- Experience having managed a unit/team required
- Willingness and ability to reside and work (authorization) in region long-term required
- Prior experience with one of our network partner organizations, either as a participant or staff member, strongly preferred
- French fluency strongly preferred
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Ability to be highly visionary, strategic, and analytical
- Ability to deeply understand multiple local contexts quickly as well as Teach For All’s unifying principles and theory of change
- Exemplifies Teach For All’s core values
- Ability to develop strong, authentic relationships with diverse individuals, and to influence and motivate others through both formal and informal authority; management experience is a plus
- Strong operating instincts
- Sensitivity to racial, cultural and ideological diversity
- Ability & willingness to travel frequently to all partner organizations in the region
Travel and Hours
Travel expected, approximately 30 - 50%, mostly within the region to provide direct support to partner organizations and early stage entrepreneurs or to attend regional gatherings, but also some travel out-of-region to attend conferences etc. Given that we work across all time zones, some non-traditional hours for very early or late night calls are an expectation of this role.
Salary for this position is competitive and depends on prior experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Please submit your resume and a one-page cover letter directly online.
About Teach For All
A GLOBAL PROBLEM…
Around the world, 250 million children lack the skills necessary to read, write, or perform basic mathematics. In rich and poor countries alike, where children are born often determines the quality of their education, and, ultimately, their future opportunities. This educational inequity is a multi-faceted and systemic global problem that affects us all—perpetuating poverty, dividing societies, and weakening economies.
…CALLS FOR A GLOBAL APPROACH
A world of expanding educational opportunity and decreasing disparities is a more prosperous, peaceful, and sustainable world where more children are able to fulfill their true potential.
Launched in 2007, Teach For All is a global network of over 30 independent, locally led and funded partner organizations with a shared vision for expanded educational opportunity in their countries. Each organization recruits and develops diverse individuals from a range of academic disciplines to commit two years to teach in high need classrooms and to work throughout their lives, both within and outside of education, in pursuit of expanded opportunity for children.
SOLUTIONS ARE SHAREABLE
Because there is so much to learn across borders, Teach For All takes a global approach. While each context is unique, similarities in the nature of educational inequity from place to place lead to shareable solutions. As partner organizations and their teachers and alumni learn from each other and innovate, their impact is accelerated at the national and global levels.
Teach For All works to accelerate partners’ progress and increase their impact by providing direct support, facilitating connections across the network, accessing global resources for the benefit of the whole, and fostering the leadership development of staff, teachers, and alumni.
Together, Teach For All programs around the world are working to ensure that one day, all children—everywhere—can attain an excellent education.