Senior Nutrition Governance & Systems Reform Specialist
The Power of Nutrition is a UK-based charitable foundation formed by like-minded investors and implementers committed to ending the cycle of undernutrition and helping children grow to their full potential through new financing and focused action. Our vision is to set an example for how private finance can help deliver high-impact, cost-effective and scalable nutrition interventions to those in greatest need.
Undernutrition is the underlying cause of 45% of all child mortality. In Sub-Saharan Africa and Asia, nearly 4 in 10 children are growing up with stunted bodies and brains. Putting a stop to undernutrition is one of the best means we have to transform children’s health, education and livelihoods.
The Power of Nutrition is working to unlock $1 billion in new financing to transform children’s futures on a scale that few can achieve alone, including substantial co-financing at country level. The fund launched in April 2015 with arrangements in place to unlock the first $200 million towards this target. The first investors were the Children’s Investment Fund Foundation, UBS Optimus Foundation and the UK’s Department for International Development, and our first implementing agency partners include the World Bank Group and UNICEF.
Since its launch, The Power of Nutrition has made investments in six countries, unlocked $360m of new financing for nutrition and is building a healthy pipeline for future investments. It has also attracted new investors beyond the original three. Further information can be viewed at www.powerofnutrition.org
The Senior Governance and Systems Reform position is a new role we have recently created in the Investments Team which is responsible for ensuring The Power of Nutrition Investments are achieving lasting change for children at scale. We are looking to appoint a strategic and technically sound individual to join a dynamic group of individuals who work with our implementing partners ( e.g. the World Bank and UNICEF) to support the development and management of a portfolio of investments.
You will need demonstrate in-depth experience and credibility in managing or delivering systemic reform and/or public finance management programmes in the nutrition, health or agriculture sectors. Excellent analytical, networking and communication skills will be key in navigating our network of partners in the private and public sectors to support the effective development and monitoring of programme.
With strong foundations and an ambitious strategy to expand our support to national governments and enhance their ability to develop and further scale-up their investments in nutrition, this role represents an exciting opportunity for an individual with a strong commitment to support nation states reduce undernutrition and the scourge of stunting of children’s life opportunities.
As Chief Executive, I look forward to working closely with you and I am excited to see what you can bring to The Power of Nutrition.
Chief Executive, The Power of Nutrition
The Senior Nutrition Governance & Systems Reform Specialist will join the team responsible for ensuring The Power of Nutrition Investments are achieving lasting change for children at scale. S/he will be responsible for:
a) supporting the development and management of a portfolio of investments;
b) ensuring all Power of Nutrition investments are structured to robustly address governance and capacity weaknesses hindering systematic change in nutrition sensitive sectors and strengthen the ability of government to deliver better nutrition outcomes for children at scale.
The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues in the Investments Team to undertake the necessary due diligence on all new investment opportunities and support the review and management of ongoing investments.
SENIOR NUTRITION GOVERNANCE & SYSTEMS REFORM SPECIALIST
SALARY: £65,000 plus discretionary bonus and health benefits
LOCATION: London, UK
CONTRACT: Full-time, Permanent.
REPORTING: Director of Investments
• Programme Development, Delivery and Portfolio Management In partnerships with implementing partners ensure new investments are developed in line with The Power of Nutrition’s Theory of Change and Investment Criteria
• Ensure effective management of The Power of Nutrition’s investment portfolio
• Ensure all investment decisions are underpinned by robust political economy analysis and effective appraisal of government’s capacity to scale up and sustain the proposed nutrition interventions;
• Ensure all investment have robust governance in place to support effective implementation and facilitate cross donor/cross governments investments where appropriate
• Where appropriate, work with implementing partners and programme evaluators to agree the most effective approach to track government budgets and expenditure on Nutrition as related to The Power of Nutrition’s investments
• Throughout the lifecycle of investments, ensure progress is being made on the governance and systemic reform components in line with the programme’s ambitions
• Collaborate with implementing partners to identify innovative new ways to realise sustainable scale up of nutrition interventions at a national level
• Contribute effectively to policy dialogue with key stakeholders in implementing partners and national governments on the sustainable scale-up of The Power of Nutrition Investments
• Work with implementing partners to develop cutting edge approaches to monitor and evaluate the impact of the governance and systemic reform components of The Power of Nutrition’s investments
• Contribute to strengthening The Power of Nutrition’s network with institutions specialising in nutrition governance and systemic reform.
• Support colleagues in Partnership & Brands in presentations to prospective donors
• Support the development of proposals for prospective investors
Reporting & Communication
• Work with internal and external colleagues to ensure the systemic reform and scale-up components of investments are in accordance to the agreed results framework
• Simplify scale-up and systems reform content from evaluation and measurement frameworks for the Communications and Partnerships & Brand teams
• Drive effective dissemination of successful scale of nutrition investments from The Power of Nutrition investments to influence regional and global policy and practice.
• Support the Director of Investments in setting the scale-up and systemic reform standards for The Power of Nutrition investments
• In collaboration with the Monitoring and Evaluation Specialist, ensure The Power of Nutrition has robust data from investment evaluations to inform the scale-up and systemic reform components of the independent evaluation
• Undertake governance analysis of The Power of Nutrition Investment countries and ensure these are used to inform investment decisions
• Ensure The Power of Nutrition has a strong understanding of the global nutrition landscape and is effectively networked into the landscape
• Act as a thought leader and communicator to a wide variety of audiences.
Sector knowledge and profile-building
• Act as The Power of Nutrition’s leading source of knowledge on current and emerging evidence on systemic reform and scale-up of proven nutrition interventions
• Keep abreast of developments within the systemic reform and public-sector reform for nutrition sectors - including spotting opportunities and challenges to overcome in countries where The Power of Nutrition is working
• With a variety of external audiences, act as a knowledgeable resource about The Power of Nutrition’s programmes and priority areas
• Represent The Power of Nutrition in key fora and manage relationships with our implementation partners and their key stakeholders in a supportive and pragmatic way
Membership of the team
• Comfortable working flexibly and effectively in a focused team structure
• Provide coaching and mentoring support to colleagues, as required to help build skills, confidence and capability in nutrition governance and systems reform
• Line manage interns when necessary
• Commit to continuing the advancement of The Power of Nutrition brand, messaging and communications
• Masters’ degree or equivalent level of academic and professional experience in nutrition, health science, public health, political science, international relations, public administration, management, accounting or finance, law or development studies.
• Extensive experience in systemic reform and/or public finance management in the nutrition or health sector will be an asset
• Evidence of expertise in political economy analysis and an established track and credibility in working on systemic reform issues in the nutrition and/or health sectors in fragile and conflict, developing and/or emerging economy context
• A strong track record and evidence of successful delivery in political economy and institutional analysis
• Familiarity or experience engaging with global governance structures/coordinating mechanisms within the nutrition sector will be an asset (Scaling Up Nutrition Movement, Council on Food Security, Nutrition 4 Growth initiative, UN REACH, etc.)
• Proven programme development and programme management experience
• Demonstrable experience in influencing policies and reforms at senior levels of government and influencing bilateral and multilateral donors.
• Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
• Outstanding communication skills with a proven ability to taper style for both technically literate and non-technical audiences, investors and policy-makers.
• Excellent writing and analytical skills – a publication record is desirable but not required
• Outstanding networking skills with a proven ability to work globally and effectively with diverse groups of individuals. Experience with large bilateral donors such as DFID, multilaterals such as the World Bank and UNICEF, and the private sector such as CIFF and UBS Optimus Foundation is desirable
• An ability to work in French
• Excellent political awareness and judgment on sensitive governance matters
• Strong understanding of nutrition interventions in an international development context
• Strategic and results-oriented
• Excellent relationship building and relationship management abilities
• Demonstration of an ability to influence beyond authority
• A proven ability to solve problems and make decisions including challenging ones
All applicants must be eligible to live and work in the United Kingdom. Please note that The Power of Nutrition is not sponsoring work visas.
HOW TO APPLY
All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Oxford HR. To apply for this post, please complete our online application form and submit the following information – preferably in MS Word:
• An up-to-date curriculum vitae (of no more than 3-4 sides of A4)
• A detailed statement (of no more than 2-sides of A4) explaining why you are interested in this post and how your skills and experience make you suitable.
• The Oxford HR Online Form, which provides us with the key information we will need to take your application through to interview.
• Please note: also enclosed with this form is Oxford HR’s Equal Opportunities Form. You are under no obligation to complete this. Any information you do provide will only be used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and will remain confidential. It will not be used as part of the selection process.
N.B. The documents should be saved in MS Word in the following format: Your First Name-Your Last Name-Document Name-Date (yymm) e.g:
Applications will be considered as they are received. This role may close to applications before the planned closing date of Monday, 19th March 2018.
Applications will be reviewed as received. The candidates meeting the essential requirements will be screened by Oxford HR before the closing date of the advert. The shortlisted candidates will be then referred for formal interview with the Power of Nutrition.
Equality and diversity are at the core of The Power of Nutrition’s values. Staff are expected to work collectively and individually to promote a constructive and sensitive approach to others from a variety of backgrounds, where the work of others is valued and respected.
If you have any queries on any aspect of the appointment process, need additional information, or would like to have an informal discussion, please contact Ana Fernandes or Marc Lambeth at: email@example.com
ABOUT OXFORD HR
Oxford HR operates globally, mainly within the international development and UK charity sectors. We carry out retained executive search mandates at board and senior management levels. We also offer human resource and organisational development consultancy.
Oxford HR has many years of experience in search as well as an extensive network of international development, social sector, corporate, public sector and academic contacts from across the world. We carry out comprehensive and often international searches designed to meet the specific needs of our clients.
Oxford HR’s team members have significant personal experience of working in international development and the social sector as well as the corporate and governmental sectors. We are in a unique position to find and assess talented individuals from a variety of backgrounds.