Senior Policy & Advocacy Manager
ABAAD is a non-profit, non-politically affiliated, non-confessional organization that aims to achieve gender equality as an essential condition to sustainable peace, democracy and social and economic development in the MENA region. ABAAD believes that eliminating gender based barriers, discrimination and violence while building women and girls’ agency and critical consciousness can allow them to participate effectively in all life spheres, lead change on their own, realize their rights and freely determine their life outcomes.
Area of Focus
ABAAD is constantly implementing projects that seek to end SGBV by influencing decision makers to adopt adequate policies that prevent and respond to SGBV and changing social norms and attitudes that condone gender-based discrimination and violence. Our focused advocacy campaign last year successfully led to national sensitization on existing discriminatory laws in Lebanon especially article 522 of the Penal Code and to the Lebanese parliament to abolish it. In the coming years, our advocacy efforts and campaigns will continue to focus on ensuring the adoption of fair legal regulations and laws that would protect women and girls who are affected by sexual exploitation, violence and abuse.
Purpose & Function
The overall purpose and functions are:
The ‘Policy and Advocacy Manager’ is responsible for developing and leading evidence-based policy solutions and advocacy campaigns that contribute to removing gender inequalities and discriminatory practices and laws. S/he will be responsible for conducting thorough social and gender research, using the findings in the policy solutions and in the ‘transformation of social norms’ delivery models, and subsequently developing innovative advocacy strategies to facilitate the adoption of favorable policy solutions. The Policy and Advocacy Manager will collaborate closely with partners, networks members and stakeholders to form influential coalitions that support the planned change both in policy and attitudes.
Among the functions s/he is expected to achieve:
- Lead the research and studies efforts aimed at analyzing causes and best approaches.
- Lead the overall development of innovative and consistent advocacy and policy strategies within ABAAD.
- Develop high quality evidence-based analysis, position papers, policy briefings and recommendations related to ABAAD’s advocacy and policy strategic priorities.
- Lead, strategize and implement interventions and campaigns aiming at influencing policy makers and public opinion.
- Provide the ‘Director’, the Board and program teams with strategic policy advice related to their work.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities
The Policy and Advocacy Manager’s main responsibilities and duties are:
- Shape ABAAD’s policy agenda and contribute to the design of ABAAD’s strategic goals on policy and advocacy development.
- Produce policy briefs and advice for donors, partners and policy makers at national and regional levels.
- Develop policy position papers, briefs and factsheets related to ending gender inequalities, discrimination and violence.
- Ensure the engagement and ownership of the various project departments within ABAAD of the adopted policy and advocacy plans.
- Lead policy and advocacy efforts aimed at influencing behavioral and social norms change and transformative masculinities.
Gender Research & Analysis
- Conduct social and ecological gender analysis and research.
- Research, analyze and make evidence-based recommendations on policies linked to ABAAD’s strategic objectives.
- Monitor events and indicators that might lead to a change in gender policies, laws and regulations at the national level.
- Keep updated on all related gender research findings, policies and campaigns both in Lebanon and across the MENA region.
- Identify gender related research gaps to assist in the development of relevant advocacy and policy development instruments and projects.
Advocacy & Campaigns
- Lead the design of advocacy and policy development interventions and all related monitoring and evaluation processes.
- Implement and participate in advocacy efforts and campaigns aiming at the adoption of policies and laws that challenge gender-related norms and behaviors.
- Develop collaborative processes and alliances to advance policy development and attitude change.
- Lead the development of information, education and communication material that would promote change in social behavioral ‘norms’.
- Plan and organize formal and non-formal events, conferences and round tables to promote the adoption of proposed policy developments.
Networking & Representation
- Develop and maintain good working partnerships and relations with local, regional and international organizations and agencies, and with ministries, local authorities and policy makers.
- Link with local and international gender policy and advocacy agencies, networks and campaigns.
- Represent ABAAD at meetings, events and consultations that support gender research, advocacy and policy development.
- Organize events to disseminate research findings, policy directions and strategies.
- Prepare and disseminate releases for the media, social media, e-bulletins, ABAAD’s website and other communication channels.
- Ensure that ABAAD’s management and Board are regularly informed of related policy changes.
- Assist ABAAD’s management and Board in establishing and reviewing gender related policies and procedures.
- Support the ‘Director of Programs’ and the Financial Manager in the strategic planning, project development and budgeting processes targeting policy and advocacy plans.
- Work closely and in collaboration with ABAAD’s Media & Communication Coordinator to coordinate efforts aimed at designing, timing, and launching advocacy and policy campaigns through all available media.
Master’s degree in Policy Development, Political Science, Social Marketing, International Relations, Media or a relevant field.
- Diplomas and relevant courses in policy development, advocacy, campaigning, branding, fundraising, public relations, project management, etc.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience in influencing government policy and public opinion through campaigning, advocacy and policy development preferably in topics related to gender, advocacy, health, protection and prevention.
- Representation skills and experience with governments, UN agencies, NGOs and civil society.
- Track record in designing and conducting evidence-based policy research and analysis and human research.
- Strong experience and knowledge in Gender and women’s rights and of current gender related laws, policies, trends and gender gaps and priorities.
- Ability to think strategically and experience in designing and implementing advocacy strategies and policy related campaigns, projects and events.
- Experience in working and coordinating with advocacy networks.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and verbal communication skills, including public speaking, negotiation and diplomacy.
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Arabic with proven ability to research and write accessible, clear policy documents and reports. French or other languages can be an asset.
- Fluency in the use of the Office Suite (e.g. Word, Excel and PowerPoint) and sufficient experience in statistical software packages and databases (such as SPSS).
- Willingness to travel on a regular basis across the MENA region
- A strong personal commitment to ABAAD’s values, vision and mission and a strong dedication to the principle of gender equality, participation and empowerment.
- Problem-solving skills and a capacity to make informed decisions.
- Ability to motivate others by providing inspiration and campaign leadership.
- A commitment to not-for-profit ethical standards, accountability and transparency.
- Strong inter-personal communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain effective partnerships and working relations with multi-cultural teams and diverse groups.
- Strong leadership skills to motivate teams and provide inspiration and campaign leadership.
- Strong analytical and conceptual skills and techniques to conduct research and address related problems.
- Ability to conduct scientifically valid research with attention to detail.
- A collaborative work style that effectively delegates responsibilities and ensures the accomplishment of tasks.
- Ability to embed a rights-based and values-led approach to campaigns and team work.
- Skills to builds consensus and commitment amongst team members and partners.
- Ability to achieve planned goals and meet deadlines even under stress.
Fixed term one-year contract (renewable) with a three-month probation period effective from the starting date.
Based in Beirut with responsibilities that involve frequent traveling all around the country.
Interested candidates, who meet the above qualifications, should apply by sending a cover letter and CV together addressed to email@example.com no later than January 3rd, 2018. Please include the title of the job in the subject line of your email and also copy ABAAD’s Director, Ms. Ghida Anani at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that applications received after the deadline will not be considered and that only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.
ABAAD is an equal employment opportunity organization.