Director of Fundraising
SOS Children’s Villages UK are seeking a creative, innovative and passionate individual to lead their fundraising team. This is an exciting opportunity with huge scope to develop an ambitious and creative vision for income generation. Reporting to the CEO, you will grow SOS Children’s Villages UK’s (SOSUK) income from all areas of fundraising with a particular focus on major donor and direct marketing income and prioritise unrestricted funds. You will be a role model and leader within the organisation, and an ambassador for the charity’s wider work, supporting the charity’s mission, vision and ambition.
The main responsibilities are:
Senior Management Team (SMT)
- With the other members of the SMT contribute to the overall leadership of SOSUK, supporting the growth and development of the organisation in line with SOSUK’s strategic plans and the International Federation Strategy 2030.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of organisational design, processes and systems, staff recruitment, retention and development and other shared areas of work while maintaining accountability for delivery of the fundraising strategy.
- Contribute to the sound governance of SOSUK including building relationships and liaising with Board members, providing reports and other information as requested and attending Board or Sub-committee meetings as necessary.
Strategic planning and development
- Lead the development and implementation of SOSUK’s fundraising strategy, aligning priorities for growth with opportunity, capacity and the International Federation’s Strategy 2030.
- Design and execute multi-year and annual fundraising plans for the portfolio of income streams balancing organisational and programme needs and align with SOSUK’s finance strategy.
- Ensure the investment of resources is appropriate to fundraising performance and opportunities for growth.
- Lead, inspire and develop a team of fundraisers and volunteers to support the delivery of the fundraising strategy.
- Establish key performance indicators on income quantity as well as quality with a focus on sustainable income and committed support.
- Work with the CEO and leadership team to inspire all staff to take interest in and responsibility for fundraising opportunities and to develop a culture of philanthropy with the Board and volunteers.
- Lead on co-ordination of the relationship with SOS International in relation to fundraising and strategic development of global opportunities.
- Ensure high levels of data quality are met within the organisation’s database with all donations and enquiries appropriately dealt with, donations efficiently processed and recorded.
- Ensure the General Data Protection Regulations (2018) are adhered to across the Fundraising Team.
- With the Head of Finance, manage quarterly income forecasting, weekly and monthly reporting, including proactive management of the risk of loss of funding streams.
- Manage the Fundraising Team’s expenditure budget, including staffing, to ensure effective resource management.
- Support the Head of Marketing and Communications in the development of annual communications plans and messaging that will support overall fundraising goals as well as specific fundraising initiatives.
- Oversee the development of a major donor and individual giving engagement strategy, in collaboration with the CEO and work with the Assistant Head – Engagement Fundraising, ensuring high quality stewardship of donor relationships.
- Personally cultivate, solicit and secure high-level major gifts.
- Ensure the CEO, and the Board’s major gift portfolios are properly supported.
- Lead on the development of a new fundraising products and activities to grow SOSUK’s base of individual donors.
- Stay up to date with key fundraising trends, issues and the regulatory environment, ensuring areas for attention are brought to the team’s, SMT or Board’s attention as appropriate.
- Responsible for staff management within the Fundraising team, ensuring performance development and management in line with SOSUK’s policies and procedure.
- Implement the Equal Opportunities Policy into daily activities.
- Undertake any other duties as may reasonably be required in this post.
- Significant experience managing at a senior level and managing teams of fundraisers.
- Outstanding communications skills and ability to articulate a compelling case for support.
- Excellent financial literacy, with strong understanding of strategic finance and financial sustainability.
- Experience in driving fundraising strategies in an organisation of substance and achieving targets.
- Significant budget management experience where planning and preparing fundraising budgets has been a significant part of the role.
- Experience of liaising and building relationships with external agencies.
- Strong interpersonal skills with an ability to communicate effectively with people at all levels.
- Ability to lead and motivate a team of fundraisers across different fundraising disciplines and with various degrees of experience.
- Evidence of meeting – or exceeding – targets
- Ability to travel internationally on an occasional basis.
- Willingness to work, if required, on evenings / weekends.
Personal Attributes / Qualities
- Ambitious, innovative, target driven, organized and self-motivated.
- Trustworthy, patient and flexible
- Outstanding role model and enjoys working as part of a team.
- Open to new ways of working, learning new tasks and skills as required.
- Committed to building meaningful relationships with some of our most generous supporters.
- Ambitious, driven by success and passionate about seizing opportunities as they present themselves.
- Driven by the desire to give our supporters an excellent experience.
- Resilient: good under pressure and deadline orientated
All correspondence, at this stage, should be via Oxford HR. To apply for this post, please find the role on our website, click on the “Apply” button and complete our online application form.