Director-Production, Markets and Institutions
The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD) is an international financial institution and a specialized United Nations agency dedicated to eradicating rural poverty and hunger. It does so by investing in rural people. IFAD finances programmes and projects that increase agricultural productivity and raise rural incomes, and advocates at the local, national and international level for policies that contribute to rural transformation.
The PMI division is a new division and within this role you not only will have the opportunity to define this division, but you will also be at the centre of IFAD’s work.
The Strategy and Knowledge Department (SKD) provides expert guidance on IFAD’s strategic direction, thematic priorities and technical quality of IFAD’s operations. This is made up of 3 divisions the (i) Environment, Climate, Gender and Social Inclusion Division (ECG); the (ii) Production, Markets and Institutions Division (PMI); and the (iii) Research and Impact Assessment Division (RIA).
PMI provides technical support to the design, supervision and completion reporting of IFAD’s Programme of Loans and Grants to ensure the proper application of corporate quality standards required for achieving development results and impact in in key thematic areas, including food production systems, land, natural resources management, water and rural infrastructure, financial services, rural markets and institutions and rural institutions. It contributes to the generation of evidence and knowledge on these themes and facilitates their use in IFAD projects and activities. Within IFAD, the Director PMI provides authoritative advice to senior management on PMI’s vision, strategic planning, policy, and divisional programme and operational management.
The main focus of this position is strategic leadership, innovation and results-based management. The accountabilities/key results include:
- Vision & Strategy
- Policy Development & Advice
- Programme Management
- Management of Resources
- Senior level professional experience in a technically related area in a multi-cultural organization or national organization providing support on a global scope.
- Experience of working with International Financial Institutions (IFI’s) and understand how they operate.
- Experience in managing large and complex programmes, in engaging with external donors and clients, and in participating in global dialogues.
- Experienced in policy development and advice, vision and strategy development.
- Understanding how to translate knowledge and research into workable solutions in the rural agricultural sector.
- Experience of managing resources.
- Team leader and management experience.
- Understanding the complexity of managing multi-cultural staff.
- Strong professional record with international reputation in one of IFAD’s key thematic areas such as food protection, land, financial services or natural resources management.
- Analytical and financially astute.
- Ability to represent IFAD in international fora.
- Advanced university degree from an accredited institution in a technically relevant area. At least a masters but PHD’s are preferential.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English. Working knowledge of another official language (Arabic, French, or Spanish) is desirable.
Interested in this role? Download the appointment brief below for more information then come back to this page to apply.
To apply for this position you need to apply both through Oxford HR AND IFAD.
To first apply through Oxford HR click on the “Apply” button in the job advert page and complete our online application form. Please provide a CV and Cover Letter in ONE single document.