Head of Office / Country Representative (m/f), Port au Prince/Haiti
The German Red Cross (GRC) is part of a worldwide community assisting victims of conflicts and disasters and people affected by social or health related crises. The Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement provides vulnerable people with assistance without discrimination as to nationality, race, religious beliefs, class or political opinions and adheres to the seven Fundamental Principles of the Movement: Humanity, Impartiality, Neutrality, Independence, Voluntary Service, Unity and Universality. The German Red Cross assists in disaster response, rehabilitation and capacity building projects internationally on appeals of their sister organisations within the Movement.
GRC supports the Haitian Red Cross (HRC) in its efforts to linking relief, rehabilitation and development by developing a resilience oriented, integrated community development program framework. In 2013, with the earthquake operation coming to an end, GRC decided to capitalize on its multi-year presence, knowledge and experience in Haiti by prioritizing the geographical areas of the Nippes Region as well as the municipality of Arcahaie, in the West Department in the sectors Food Security/Livelihood, WASH, Health, Disaster Risk Reduction and Capacity Building for HRC.
Currently, GRC is looking for a Head of Office/Country Representative. The Head of Office is responsible for the co-ordination and the overall management of all GRC supported projects in Haiti, the proper use of funds and the supervision of all GRC delegates in country.
The basis is in Port au Prince with regular field trips to the sub-offices in Archaie and Nippes as well as to the respective project sites.
Duration: starting 31 July 2017 until 31 December 2018
Location: Port au Prince, Haiti
Responsibilities and Tasks:
- Overall Management of GRC operations, in accordance with approved plans, regulations and policies
- Representation of GRC at country level towards the HRC and other Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement (RC/RC) partners, national authorities, international and national organisations and donors, as well as in the media
- Pursuit an excellent, well established relationship with HRC in a focal country of GRC’s intervention portfolio
- Develop the strategy and enhance the profile of the GRC in Haiti further, together with the HRC and the GRC Headquarters in Berlin
- Assure the implementation of GRC supported activities according to approved plans and budgets
- Set up and/or develop existing structures further to manage the GRC country delegation efficiently, including security, finances, HR and other resources in accordance with GRC guidelines and procedures
- Assure efficient and effective management of GRC resources in the operations, projects and programmes
- Supervise and guide GRC delegates and local staff in Haiti
- Ensure the adherence to the GRC security regulations and adapt the same regularly as required
- Represent GRC at country level towards and maintain regular contacts with the RC/RC Movement, external partners and donors; explore possibilities for cooperation, resource sharing and exchange of technical advice
- Take initiatives to network and identify funding opportunities (e.g. ECHO, the German Government, other organisations etc.)
- Continue and strengthen the relationship with the HRC
- Support the capacity building of the HRC through skill development of its technical personnel and / or volunteers, including project management, monitoring and evaluation, policy and strategy
- Assist the HRC in the planning, implementation and monitoring of its projects and programmes
- Exchange information and communicate regularly with the GRC Headquarters
- Support the GRC and HRC in Project Cycle Management and Monitoring and Evaluation (M&E)
- Development of electronic communication and file sharing structure in the delegation
- At least 5 years experience working in the field of disaster management / disaster risk reduction, health and / or other development projects
- At least 5 years experience in supervision of staff and management of teams
- At least 5 years experience in Project Cycle Management (PCM) of relief, rehabilitation and /or development programmes
- Experience in a senior representation role / management position and networking
- Experience in working for the Red Cross / Red Crescent Movement (preferably)
- Profound Experience in proposal writing for different donors
- Proven experience in working in a difficult and volatile security situation
- University degree
- Excellent communication skills (oral and written)
- Skills in facilitation, moderation and training
- Self-supporting in computers (MS-Windows, spreadsheet- and word-processing)
- Readiness to work in remote areas
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Ability and agreement to adhere to the Red Cross Red Crescent Fundamental Principles
- Oral and written fluency in French and English, German and Spanish is of advantage
- Ability to work effectively in multi cultural environments
- Ability to complete a thorough medical screening process 'working abroad under specific climate and health conditions'
- Readiness to go on assignment without partner / family posting
- Valid Driving Licence
GRC offers you a compensation package according to the collective employment agreement of the GRC as well as an expatriation allowance during your mission. Depending on the post specific situation we either provide you with an accommodation or a personal allowance to cover your accommodation. In addition to a full insurance package (health insurance for residence abroad, private accident insurance, private liability insurance, luggage insurance) GRC is as well covering a home flight withing a 12-month period of assignment and medical check-ups before and after your mission. Before your assignment you will benefit from a comprehensive training package and receive briefings prior as well as during and after your mission.
Kindly apply by submitting your application by using the GRC online application system DRK HRnet until June 30th 2017.
Please indicate Ref. No. 2017- 100 with your application.
Further information on our recruiting procedure can be found on our homepage.