Head of Programmes
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
We are looking for Head of Programms to manage and build Oxfam's longer-term development programme and ensure that Oxfam is able to response to the on-going conflict in Iraq through administrative and technical support to humanitarian + development programme staff and partners in the field.
Responsible for designing, ensuring management and coordination of effective and appropriate interventions. This includes strategic humanitarian and development management, fund-raising, co-ordination of programme management and implementation, supporting in the development and implementation of the country strategy, supporting operations of Program Managers and partners, advocacy and ensuring programme implementation is consistent with Oxfam’s mission and goals
What we are looking for
Our next Head of Programmes will require;
- Experience of working in Iraq or in another conflict programme.
- Graduate Degree from a recognised University/college in international development, economics, management or any other related area that can bring added value to the job
- Experience managing large humanitarian programmes, and an understanding of relevant issues, especially in a conflict setting.
- Knowledge and experience of longer term development programming in either Livelihoods/agriculture development, civil society development, Governance and wash.
- Relevant experience of 7 years for Post graduate holders, or 10 years + for Degree holders, including budgeting, planning, programme cycle management, preferably in an international NGO out of which at least 5 years should be supervisory/managerial experience
- Proven programme and project management skills including planning, monitoring, evaluation, budgeting, proposal development and report preparation, particularly in complex emergency environment
- Experience of using accountability practices and standards through the project life cycle.
- Strong skills and experience in capacity-building of staff and partners, including coaching and on-the-job training
- Commitment to humanitarian principles and action and understanding and experience of humanitarian standards and accountability initiatives, including Sphere, People in Aid, NGO/Red Cross Code of Conduct, etc
- Knowledge of gender, wash and the livelihoods approaches in emergency and recovery.
- Professional experience living and working in disaster/conflict affected countries.
- Experience of strategic planning and management of large and complex budgets.
- Experience of distance management of staff.
- Excellent communicator with strong written and reporting skills, and an excellent ability to influence verbally to persuade with diplomacy and tact
- Experience in fast-paced and difficult emergency contexts
- Adaptable in approach to work with a willingness to work under pressure in a demanding environment
- Initiative and motivation to work independently and develop solutions to problems. Highly flexible in style with the ability to produce creative and pragmatic solutions to complex problems
- Experience of managing of water and sanitation and hygiene promotion, emergency and longer term livelihood programmes.
- Knowledge of Arabic.
- Promotion of civil society and Governance programmes.
- Working and developing national partners.
- Advocacy and policy work.
This role will give you an opportunity to make a difference in career development, to act as key contributor to Program team, to work with a group of passionate people that are specialists in their fields activities, training and development, offers fair pay and competitive benefits package.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment through our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of the organisation.
All offers of employment will be subject to satisfactory references and appropriate screening checks, which can include criminal records and terrorism finance checks. Oxfam GB also participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this Scheme, we will request information from job applicants’ previous employers about any findings of sexual exploitation, sexual abuse and/or sexual harassment during employment, or incidents under investigation when the applicant left employment. By submitting an application, the job applicant confirms his/her understanding of these recruitment procedures.
We are committed to ensuring diversity and gender equality within our organisation and encourage applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile. OR
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and respond to three key questions related to your experience in this role. Your application will be shortlisted based on your CV and your responses to the above questions. You need not comment on your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.