International Head of Mission
medica mondiale e.V. is a non-governmental organisation based in Cologne, Germany. As a feminist women’s rights and aid organisation medica mondiale supports women and girls in war and crisis zones throughout the world. Through own programmes and in cooperation with local women’s organisations we offer holistic support to women and girl survivors of sexualised and gender-based violence. On the political level, we pro-actively promote women’s rights, call for a rigorous punishment of crimes as well as effective protection, justice and political participation for survivors of violence. Currently medica mondiale is working in Northern Iraq/Kurdistan, in Afghanistan, in Liberia, in Kosovo, in Bosnia and Herzegovina as well as the African Great Lakes Region.
For our Sub-Country Office in the Kurdish Region of Iraq (KRI) we are advertising the position of
International Head of Mission (female)
Since 2015, medica mondiale has been implementing programmes and projects in the Kurdish Region of Iraq focusing on strengthening local protection and counseling for women and girls affected by sexual and gender based violence. As one component of this program, medica mondiale is improving the quality of direct services provided by the Kurdish Regional Government and civil society organizations through capacity development measures. In order to provide support more effectively and to increase collaboration with relevant stakeholders, medica mondiale opened a sub-country office in Dohuk in 2016.
Duty station of the Head of Mission is Dohuk, KRI. The position might require travel to field locations in Erbil and Sulaymaniah.
The Head of Mission represents medica mondiale to stakeholders and partners in KRI. She ensures the overall management of the sub-country office. She is responsible for the smooth implementation of programmes and identifies new partners and opportunities for intervention. She is represents medica mondiale to partners and stakeholders in KRI, reports to the Head of International Programmes and liaises with the Regional Manager at the Head Office in Cologne.
- Run the sub-country office, consisting of one international technical expert, two local Support Officers (finance, admin and logistics) drivers and technical staff on consultancy basis;
- Ensure administrative, finance and HR management in line with medica mondiale procedures;
- Manage programme funds within the budget framework; ensure all internal administrative, financial and logistical requirements are met;
- Liaise with relevant actors and represent medica mondiale to national and international stakeholders and bodies;
- Monitor and evaluate the quality of medica mondiale’s programme in KRI, identify areas for improvement and provide recommendations;
- Identify opportunities and partners for new interventions and contribute to resource mobilisation;
- Participate in medica mondiale’s strategic and operational planning;
- Monitor and report on the security situation in Iraq and in particular in the Kurdish Region of Iraq and ensure implementation of the medica mondiale security policy and participate in reviewing it;
- Report to head office according to standards in a timely, effective manner.
- Project management for specific projects;
Experience/knowledge and skills
- Demonstrated track record in financial, administrative and HR management, including security, logistics, and operations;
- Profound knowledge of the different forms and consequences of violence against women and sexualised war and post-war violence, and of women’s rights; knowledge of and experience with advocating for women’s rights issues;
- Experience in project work, i.e. PCM, proposal writing and budgeting and managing donors-implementers relationships, both from an implementers and a donor’s perspective;
- Knowledge and experience in cooperating with local organisations in (post)conflict settings;
- Excellent command of the English language combined with strong writing skills; Knowledge in Arabic and / or Kurdish (Badhini) languages is an asset.
- Knowledge and experience in organisational development regarding both operational and organisational structures is an asset;
- Working experience and a personal network in the region is an asset.
- Feminist background and a clear commitment to work with a women centred and empowering approach;
- Ability to work in an independent and self-contained way, while maintaining reliable communication and working relations with both, Headoffice, remote staff and partner organisations;
- Stress-resilient, flexible, courageous;
- Strong communications, interpersonal and inter-cultural skills: ability to communicate with actors from the grassroots to the national level, both governmental and non-governmental.
- 2 year contract, with possibility for extension
- Salary and benefits based on medica mondiale’s salary scale for international assignments
- Insurance, travel cost refund etc.
Start: March 15th 2019
Closing date: 24 February 2019
Please e-mail your application (CV, cover letter and references not exceeding 2MB) as well as your salary expectations to email@example.com.
Further information on our projects can be found on our website: www.medicamondiale.org.