Japan Outreach Coordinator
United Nations University ObjectivesFor the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information, please visit http://unu.edu.
Working under the supervision of the Head of Communications and under the guidance of the Japan Communications Specialist and other Office of Communications staff, the Japan Events and Outreach Coordinator will:
- Collaborate to propose, develop, and coordinate UNU outreach events and activities, both online and onsite, to raise the overall presence of UNU in Japan. Give presentations about UNU to raise awareness of the organization’s activities.
- Manage the logistics to organise outreach events and activities, and assist in the promotion of the activities to reach a wider audience in both Japan and overseas.
- Propose and facilitate the creation of UNU Japanese-language marketing materials as needed.
- Assist in managing UNU’s website presence in Japanese on https://jp.unu.edu and https://ourworld.unu.edu/jp/.
- Support the translation of English material into Japanese and assist in editing and proofreading Japanese content.
- Assist in other duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- A bachelor’s degree or equivalent qualification in communications, marketing, journalism, international relations or a related field or high school qualification with 3 years of relevant working experience including event organizing and marketing experience in Japan. Knowledge of social media preferred
- Exemplary Japanese and English reading, speaking and writing skills
- Excellent computer skills and web literacy
- Detail-oriented, dependable and a team player
- Strong interpersonal skills and a demonstrated ability to work in a multicultural environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity
The successful candidate will be employed under a local PSA contract and no relocation allowances apply. UNU offers an attractive compensation package including monthly net salary in the range JPY 315,000 – JPY 373,000, commensurate with the experience and qualifications of the candidate. Benefits include 30 days annual leave and a health insurance scheme. PSA holders are required to enroll in Japan’s national social health care and pension insurance systems.UNU is not liable for any taxes that may be levied on the remuneration you receive under this contract. Payment of any such taxes remains the sole responsibility of PSA holders.
Duration of Conditions
The duration of the initial contract is 1 year. This is Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance. The combined duration on a PSA contract with UNU may not exceed six (6) years. The mandatory age of retirement for PSA is 65 yearsStarting DateAugust 2021Application Procedure Interested applicants should submit their applications, and all required documents listed below online through Impactpool at https://impactpool.org/jobs/709488:
- A cover letter, one in English and one in Japanese, detailing how your qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position, and what specific contributions you can make to the organisation
- A curriculum vitae (CV)
- An indication of the reference number of the vacancy announcement (2021/UNU/HQ/OC/PSA/JOC/68).
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for further process.AssessmentEvaluation of qualified candidates may include an assessment exercise which may be followed by a competency-based interview, background checks and references.
UNU does not sponsor a working visa for this position.PSA holders do no hold international civil servant status nor are they considered a “staff member” as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.UNU is committed to diversity and inclusion within its workforce, and encourages all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities to apply and become part of the organization. Applications from developing countries, and from women are strongly encouraged. Eligible internal applicants are encouraged to apply.UNU has a zero-tolerance policy on conduct that is incompatible with the aims and objectives of the United Nations and UNU, including sexual exploitation and abuse, sexual harassment, abuse of authority and discrimination.Information about UNU rostersUNU reserves the right to select one or more candidates from this vacancy announcement. We may also retain applications and consider candidates applying to this post for other similar positions with UNU at the same grade level and with similar job description, experience and educational requirements.Scam warningUNU does not charge any application, processing, training, interviewing, testing or other fee in connection with the application or recruitment process. Should you receive a solicitation for the payment of a fee, please disregard it. Furthermore, please note that emblems, logos, names and addresses are easily copied and reproduced. Therefore, you are advised to apply particular care when submitting personal information on the web.