Enabel is the Belgian development agency. Under the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development, we carry out public service assignments in Belgium and abroad. In addition, Enabel enhances the impact of Belgium in international development by carrying out assignments for Belgian and international third-party donors.
The first openings to be filled in the short term are for Benin and Niger.
In close collaboration with Belgium’s diplomatic representation, the Resident Representative of Enabel is responsible for developing a country strategy which takes into account Belgium’s policy priorities and the partner country’s national development policies. He/She is responsible for implementing the country strategy through a portfolio of interventions which uses a multi-mode and multi-actor approach. He/she also strengthens the impact of Belgium in the partner country and/or, where applicable, in neighbouring countries, by prospecting, negotiating and implementing interventions for third-party donors.
The Resident Representative permanently ensures the relevance, sustainability and effectiveness of the interventions implemented by Enabel. Consequently, he/she invests in the priority themes of the Belgian governmental cooperation (sustainable and inclusive economic growth, human rights-based approach, etc.) and of other donors, but also in more ‘political’ aspects of international development.
The Resident Representative will in particular ensure to:
- Promote the expertise of Belgium in international development and its added value for the country or countries concerned;
- Provide input to Belgium’s policy decision-making;
- Develop the portfolio of Enabel by contracting interventions for third-party donors;
- Guarantee, through leadership of the multidisciplinary country team, operational excellence in executing interventions within budget.
- INNOVATE the Belgian governmental cooperation strategy taking into account international development priorities of Belgium and of its partners.
- GUARANTEE the achievement of development results and the sustainability of the impact targeted by the country strategy.
- NEGOTIATE assignments for third-party donors in order to strengthen the programme and project portfolio and enhance the impact of the Belgian governmental cooperation.
- PARTICIPATE in circles of influence and ensure a dynamic and positive image exists of Enabel within the country.
- LEED the multidisciplinary country team to achieve objectives and optimal results to the satisfaction of the clients (beneficiaries and donors).
- MANAGE the country office in order to realise the objectives and to use the available resources in a secure and efficient way.
- You must be a Belgian national; you are trilingual (French-Dutch-English).
- You hold a Master’s degree.
- Ten years’ relevant professional experience, with 5 years at least in international cooperation project or programme management and 3 years in team management.
- Expat experience in several, preferably African, countries.Experience in networking and contract negotiation.
- Fully willing to be expatriated in all present and future partner countries of Enabel.
- Strategic competencies: You have a good understanding of the challenges and opportunities of international development, of the new trends and of the main (public as well as private) actors, in particular in sub-Sahara Africa.
- Operational competencies: You can outline clear strategies and define very stringent objectives. You organise a team and lead its members towards achieving fixed results.
- Policy insights: You manage with ease even complex situations in which several actors are involved and you seize opportunities, considering the various stakes at work whilst learning from the experience in order to optimally serve the organisation’s objectives.
- Interpersonal skills: You are an excellent negotiator and persevere in the pursuit of objectives whilst finding solutions and compromises where needed.
- Leadership: You establish a team spirit, including the organisation’s own staff as well as staff working for other organisations; you promote collaboration within as well as outside the organisation.
- Integrity: You are sincere and transparent; you instil trust.
An open-ended contract.
The gross monthly salary depends on the country of assignment and relevant experience.
Expatriation and hardship allowances, a contribution for moving and installation, school expenses, flight tickets, family allowances, insurance coverage, reimbursement of medical costs and a retirement contribution. These amounts will vary in function of one’s household’s composition.
An official residence that is suitable for representation activities, in an international and secure setting.
Following this recruitment a recruitment pool will be constituted for three years for similar functions in our intervention countries or at Enabel’s Brussels head offices.
Are you interested?
Is your profile matching the one we are looking for?
Do not hesitate and send us your application letter and updated CV, at the latest by 07/03/2019 via our website: https://www.enabel.be/content/jobs