Senior Advisor, Gender, Diversity & Inclusion
Oxfam is a global movement of people working together to end the injustice of poverty.
Do you have knowledge and understanding of key diversity and inclusion issues and approaches, including anti-racism, trans-inclusion, and intersectional feminism?
Do you thrive working with others to bring about meaningful change?
Do you want to take an innovative approach to further diversity and inclusion goals at a pivotal time for Oxfam GB’s new Equalities strategy?
We are looking for a Senior Advisor for Gender and Diversity & Inclusion (12-month maternity cover) to work with others across Oxfam to embed diversity, inclusion and equality into our work. You will be a key leader in delivering our collective vision where equality is rooted in systemic change, and where everyone is able to contribute to making Oxfam a more equal, just, and inclusive place.
In this role, you will be:
- Advising and supporting key stakeholders in delivering the Equalities strategy including staff networks; HR Senior Managers; Racial Justice leads; Culture change leads; Senior leaders and directors.
- Designing, developing, and leading equalities initiatives in collaboration with key stakeholders, aligned to the Equalities strategy and Gender Pay Gap commitments – for example targeted culture change interventions; improving approach to equality data collection and reporting; building action on anti-racism within HR systems, processes and policies; designing and facilitating learning on anti-racism.
- Being available to support and coach staff experiencing workplace issues relating to Equalities, bridging the gap between the lived experiences of inequalities and systemic solutions in Oxfam’s culture, structures, processes.
- Responding to urgent queries/issues/challenges relating to equalities including from the media, unions, staff networks.
What we are looking for
We’re looking for a candidate who cares about Oxfam's mission to end poverty and is personally aligned to the values of empowerment, accountability and inclusion in all you do and our feminist principles.
An ideal candidate for the role will also be / have:
- A role model for Oxfam’s feminist practices of self-awareness, influencing, and agility, complexity and ambiguity
- Knowledge and understanding (including from lived experience) of key equality, diversity and inclusion issues and approaches, including anti-racism, trans-inclusion, and intersectional feminism.
- Experience of working with a range of stakeholders to deliver measurable/tangible change.
- Experience of designing and delivering projects or initiatives that take an innovative approach to furthering equality, diversity and inclusion goals.
- Coaching and enabling others to understand and act on equalities issues.
Flexible working is key to building the Oxfam of the future, so we’re open to talking through the type of flexible arrangements which might work for you.
We think this role could work well as a home-based role (either partially or fully) or as a job share. If you are looking for a part-time opportunity, please do also . The role is based in the UK.
Our values and commitment to safeguarding
Oxfam is committed to preventing any type of unwanted behaviour at work including sexual harassment, exploitation and abuse, lack of integrity and financial misconduct; and committed to promoting the welfare of children, young people, adults and beneficiaries with whom Oxfam GB engages. Oxfam expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment by complying with our code of conduct. We place a high priority on ensuring that only those who share and demonstrate our values are recruited to work for us.
The post holder will undertake the appropriate level of training and is responsible for ensuring that they understand and work within the safeguarding policies of our organisation.
Offers of employment within the open recruitment stages will be subject to one satisfactory internal reference from a current manager in line with current policy where the selected candidate is moving to a new Division and the role has significantly changed from their current post. Gaining an internal employment reference will not apply to those within ringfence selection or suitable alternative / redeployment situation which falls under Oxfam’s redundancy process.
Conditional offers made in selection stages may also be subject appropriate screening checks. Oxfam GB participates in the Inter Agency Misconduct Disclosure Scheme. In line with this scheme we will take into account any live disciplinary sanctions a candidate may have when making the selection decision.
How to apply
As part of your online application, please upload your up to date CV and a covering letter explaining your suitability against the essential criteria in the job profile.
Oxfam is a global community who believe poverty isn’t inevitable. It’s an injustice that can be overcome. We are shop volunteers, women’s right activists, marathon runners, aid workers, coffee farmers, street fundraisers, goat herders, policy experts, campaigners, water engineers and more. And we won’t stop until everyone can live life without poverty for good.
Oxfam GB is a member of international confederation of 19 organisations working together with partners and local communities in the areas of humanitarian, development and campaigning, in more than 90 countries.
A thriving diverse Oxfam
It’s people power that brings about change. To play our part as a global organisation working to overcome poverty and inequality, we need equality, diversity and inclusion across our community of staff, partners and volunteers. Together, we’re committed to becoming a more diverse workforce, better able to tackle the global challenges that face our world today.
To do that:
- We need to dismantle the unequal power structures that exist everywhere, this including Oxfam and the wider development and charity sectors.
- We need an inclusive Oxfam where everyone can bring who they are to our work and feels celebrated for the differences they bring.
- We want and need everyone, and that means we need you.
In response to Covid-19 if you are offered a role where you are required to travel between countries please ensure you have been briefed by the Hiring Manager about any changes to working or precautions you should take as part of your role.