Teaching & Learning Volunteer (Liberia)
Street Child is calling for individuals hoping to gain valuable experience in the development sector by undertaking a voluntary Teaching and Learning role in Liberia. Street Child aims to create avenues for out of school children to access education through an integrated approach that strengthens the capacity of teachers, schools and communities to sustain their investment in the education for their children.
Street Child’s approach is underpinned by our global vision that all children have the right to a quality education. Our vision for Liberia is: A Liberia where all children have the opportunity to access an excellent education that enables them to fulfill their potential and contribute to the progress of the nation.
In September Street Child launched its Flagship Academies, operating schools across three counties under the Government of Liberia’s Partnership Schools program. The long-term vision for Flagship Academies is to create a network of schools, which are:
- Delivering quality education via Liberian teachers in a way in which it is accessible for all children regardless of their background or abilities
- At the heart of the community where families and children can access more than just their education.
- Continuously improving and learning from results, feedback and collaboration from across the network and wider
- Delivering education with a focus on reading excellence
- An inclusive, happy and stimulating environment which children want to come to and parents wish to send their children
This is an exciting opportunity to be part of a team that is implementing an innovative program that wants to achieve a rapid improvement in learning outcomes for Liberia’s children as well as build the long-term capacity of teachers and schools across the country.
Street Child offers four to twelve week placements, supporting our work in Liberia and the work of our partner organizations. Working alongside the Street Child of Liberia team, key responsibilities will include –
- Assist with the creation or adaptation of curricular resources targeted at the specific needs of particular groups of children
- Analyze student outcomes data and assist with the development of strategies to optimize learning outcomes
- Assist with the logistics of teacher training and coaching activities, including planning, scheduling and resourcing
- Analyze data and information from teacher education program to improve effectiveness and efficacy
- Prepare reports on teacher progress, including relevant evidence
- Establish and maintain strong relationships with partner organizations and schools
- Provide regular information sharing and reporting to relevant stakeholders
This is a wonderful opportunity for you to learn about the development sector through an immersive experience, and to make a lasting contribution to the organization and its aim to offer educational access to out of school children all over the world.
Street Child's aim is to create educational opportunities for some of the world’s most vulnerable children. We began our work in 2008 in Sierra Leone working with a small number of street children, nine years later we have helped to transform the lives of more than 50,000 children across Sierra Leone, Liberia and Nepal. In 2017, we launched our first project in Nigeria helping children impacted by conflict in the North East of the country.
Street Child is currently expanding its operations to Liberia, in an attempt to serve increasing numbers of children in need. Street Child of Liberia has been working with the Government of Liberia and partner organizations to strengthen the capacity of teachers, schools and communities to sustain their investment in the education for their children. As a volunteer, you will be part of an exciting stage of the organization’s growth, and will be working closely with the Street Child of Liberia team to support our programs.
- Experience or understanding of creating curriculum and education programs for children and adults
- Demonstrated understanding of teaching and learning structures and strategies
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Professional and diligent in presentation and conduct
- Independent and capable of proactive work plan management with minimal support
- Flexible, adaptable and able to thrive in a start-up environment
- Thoughtful, resourceful, reflective, and eager to learn
- Culturally responsive and respectful
- Keen interest in understanding and contributing to the development sector
The successful applicant must be prepared to live and work in austere conditions when required, and to travel independently within Liberia. The applicant must be able to manage their work plan and report regularly to the team on progress, and will be considered a valued member of the team.
A fundraising commitment will be required of the successful applicant, for which support will be provided by Street Child UK staff. The successful applicant will be required to live in Liberia for at least 4 weeks. Food and flights are at the applicant’s own expense. Accommodation will be provided by Street Child at a fixed cost, and may require sharing dorms with another volunteer of any gender, with the opportunity for a private room at an additional cost. A more detailed breakdown of costs and expenses will be provided for those applicants selected for an interview.
Whilst this is initially a voluntary role, for applicants with relevant experience who have the ability to add strategic value, there is potential to attain a more permanent position with the organization.
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com outlining your experience, interest in the placement and availability.
Thank you for your time!