Youth Programme Leader
Second Tree (www.secondtree.org, www.facebook.com/SecondTree/) are looking for volunteers who can lead the development, implementation, and expansion of our youth program. This is a brilliant opportunity to work in the humanitarian sector, taking on real responsibility in a young, dynamic NGO. We work with 42 young refugees and asylum seekers from many different countries, providing them with with a sense of community and experiences that they wouldn’t otherwise receive!
There are specific requirements asked for to apply, however the most important is to have a strong desire to work with refugees and a commitment to improve the situation here in Greece. Second Tree works in a transparent way in a challenging and changeable situation on the field; therefore an ability to learn quickly and be open to feedback is more important than your specific experience. That said, the ideal candidate will possess experience working with children and young people in an educational and environmental outdoor setting and may have experience in and/or knowledge of the Scouting movement.
The role will include:
- Organizing weekly activities with the Scouts and team leaders;
- Identifying, developing and managing team leaders;
- Collaborating with the wider Second Tree team;
- Supporting team leaders to plan and implement weekly activities and excursions;
- Supporting in Second Tree’s general logistic needs;
- Ability to commit to over four weeks;
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic, multi-lingual setting;
- Ability to work independently and within a team;
- Ability to meet deadlines and manage own workload;
- Ability to work in a high-intensity environment;
- Adaptable, flexible attitude and approach to activities and people management;
- Ability to communicate in an open, honest, direct manner;
- Experience working as a Scout leader and/or part of the Scout Leadership Team
- Experience with teenagers in educational and leisure activities
- Ability to drive (possession of valid driving license)
- Demonstrable experience in the animation field and summer camps.
- Knowledge of the Scout Movement and/or similar pedagogical tools and programs
- Language skills: Arabic, French, Persian, Dari and/or Kurmanji
What We Offer:
- Accommodation with all the basic amenities (WiFi, heating, laundry, kitchen) covered in a shared team house.
- Transportation for work-related activities (if needed)
We have two volunteer houses that can host up to nine people where long-term volunteers are accommodated. Some volunteers choose to rent their own accommodation. In certain periods of the year, demand is extremely high, and the volunteer houses might be full. If you have the means to pay for your own accommodation, please let us know. We would still be happy to host you if space is available. However, in a situation where the volunteer houses are full, this would allow us to offer a volunteering opportunity to someone that cannot afford to pay rent.
How to apply:
Please send the following to Giovanni Fontana at: firstname.lastname@example.org
1) Your CV
2) Your cover letter
In your mail, please:
3) Put “Scout Leader Candidate (eldis.org)” as the subject line
4) Specify the dates you would be available to volunteer
If the application includes all of these we will get back to you in a maximum of 48hs.